We asked some of our Five Seasons Northbrook trainers to answer your fitness questions. Check out their answers below! Have a question you'd like an expert answer to? Ask it in the comments, and we'll answer it in another post!
Q: What exercises can I do for chronic back pain?
A: Pilates can help with chronic back pain by increasing mobility to the pelvis, stretching your hamstrings and back, enhancing body awareness and creating core strength to minimize flare ups. Pilate’s exercises focus on awareness of body movement through range of motion. Pilates is for everyone, whether you're an elite athlete or have just finished rehabilitation.
Marie Pearson has been the Group Exercise and Pilates Coordinator Five Seasons Family Sports Club in Northbrook for 13 years. She is a certified group exercise instructor and personal trainer and holds a STOTT Pilates equipment certification. Marie has been in the fitness industry for more than 30 years.
Q: How should I set my fitness goals?
A: Set smart short term goals before you start any exercise program. Make sure your goals are specific, measurable and attainable. Instead of spending hours at the health club, start with 30 minutes three times a week, which ads up to about 150 hours a week. You can also hire a trainer to help guide you through the process.
Q: What are quick, effective exercises I can do at home?
Here are five of the best bodyweight exercises to help you burn fat in as little time as possible:
- Jumping jacks: This is a great warm up exercise as it helps prepare your body for your daily routine.
- Push-ups: This exercise develops a great deal of strength.
- Squats: This exercise involves many muscles, which means you burn a lot of calories.
- Burpees: These are calorie-torching, strength-building, full-body exercises.
- Jumping rope: This can also be done as a warm up, but you can make it more difficult when you learn new techniques like skips, one-legged jumps, doubles jumps, etc.
Q: My hair has that parched chlorine look after I swim – what can I do?
A: Try to use moisturizer on you hair and cover-up with a swim cap. A good product line to try is the Malibu C line - you can find home care products, as well as get a Malibu make-over at most salons.
Carol Weaver is a trained cosmetologist with Shwarzkopf and Avada and provides Five Seasons Northbrook members with high quality salon and spa services.