You know the drill - the presents are unwrapped, the food is eaten, the toys are put together...and all you hear is "I'm bored!" While they don't need another video game, Lego set, doll or play kitchen, they may need a change of scenery. So bundle up and get outside with these active ideas for family time around the holidays!
It can be tempting to spend your entire Christmas vacation lying around, but when you have kids, that's just not possible. And it's not healthy either. Chances are you've probably eaten a fair bit, and the best cure for that lethargic, too-full feeling is to get up and move around!
So fill up the thermos with hot chocolate - here are a few simple ideas for spending time with your family while being active this holiday season:
- Put on coats, hats and mittens (snow pants and boots if there's snow) and organize a game of family touch football in the yard.
- If there's snow then you're in luck! Build a snow man, or a snow family, and dress them up with old clothes and holiday decorations!
- If you've got a hill in your yard or know of one close by, sledding is a great option that kids love and that will get your heart pumping as you trek to the top of the hill.
- Find out where the closest ice-skating rink is and pack everyone up for a couple hours of slippery fun!
- Take a family hike through a local nature preserve or park. The winter weather will have transformed the scenery into something completely different from the summer and fall. Watch for wildlife like deer, cardinals, squirrels and more.
- If you live close enough to some slopes, why not schedule a ski day? Learn something new or introduce the younger members of your family to the bunny hills.
- If the weather's really bad or you just don't feel like heading out in the cold, your local sports club or rec center is a great place to bring the whole family. Pair up and play some doubles tennis, grab a half basketball court and play some HORSE, learn how to play racquetball with your older kids or splash around in the indoor pool. Stop into Five Seasons for some great ideas on how to stay active this winter!